Randall’s has a two-part history. This is about the store’s first incarnation, which began in the 1940s and ended as Piggly Wiggly by the 70s.
Randall’s was initially founded as Randall’s Food Market sometime around 1946 by a gentleman named A.P. Randall Jr. Mr. Randall’s first store was located in South Central Houston at 4540 Griggs Road. While sources differ on when exactly Mr. Randall opened his store, it became well known in the community as an everpresent component. Early on, the chain would be aligned with the Lucky 7 co-op; however, in 1949, Mr. Randall would decide to shift to the new Super Valu co-op. At this point, the store would come to the attention of Blocker Martin, who already operated stores under the Super Valu banner, and by 1950 Blocker had teamed up with fellow grocer E.K. Atwood to buy the busy Randall’s Food Market. Atwood had managerial experience with other chains in Houston, and Martin would seemingly bring money to the operation. After three years of successful operations, Blocker would choose to expand Randall’s building their second location and eventually buy E.K. Atwood out. However, he would stay on as a company executive. By 1954 the new store would open, and it was one of the first modern supermarkets in the area. With modern convenience, Randall’s again won over more customers continuing to drive up profits. As a testament to continued success, work on a new store in Pasadena would commence in the same year. While the modern stores were doing quite well, the original location at Griggs was somewhat of an issue being somewhat of a known target for robberies and dealing with a massive fire early on. In September 1955, the third in the chain, the Pasadena store would hold its grand opening, with Robert Onstead serving as manager of the store. Anyone familiar with the Randall’s story will immediately recognize the Onstead name; they are far more associated with the company than any other family and even hold a connection to the Martin family, as Onstead was Blocker’s son-in-law. However, even at this point, young “Bob” was already helping shape the chain’s future.
The early history of Randall’s shows that the stores they built were similar in size and scope to Henke & Pillot. They were simple neighborhood supermarkets, modestly sized, around 15-20k square feet. They offered a simple selection of self-service groceries, which was still somewhat a novel concept, only taking hold about 30 years prior. By 1955 the entry of Kroger (through the purchase of Henke’s) signaled the start of significant competition, so to keep up with competition, larger, more elaborate stores were built. By 1957 Randall’s was up to its fifth location. This new store was the largest in the chain at 22,500 Square Feet and featured the latest conveniences. The building was fully air-conditioned (still very novel at the time) and featured 100 feet of refrigerated and 140 feet of frozen foods. For comparison, the Griggs store likely had 1/10 of that, if they featured frozen foods at all. The new store also featured a lunch counter, soda fountain, and even electric cash registers! With this “new generation” of stores, Randall’s was quickly becoming a force of its own. By 1959 the chain found itself large enough to “debrand” from the Super Valu Co-Op, although this would mean losing their Pasadena location, which would remain a Super Valu location, for undisclosed but likely contractual reasons.
By 1960 plans were underway to rebuild older locations, including their original Griggs store, bringing the entire chain up to modern standards. In 1961 the new Griggs store would open and a slow trend of acquisitions would begin. A store at 10810 S Post Oak Rd, Houston, TX 77035 which started out as Belden’s Minimax was picked up the same year. This also seems to indicate that Randall’s may have quietly realigned with Minimax. Unfortunately the next year, Blocker Martin, co-founder and at the time owner of Randall’s Supermarkets unexpectedly passed away. His son-in-law, Robert Onstead who had previously been mentioned as manager of the Pasadena location, was then placed in charge of the chain, acting as its General Manager. Unfortunately only a few days after the death of Mr. Martin one of his final deals would be made public, the sale of a J.M.H. Supermarket to Randall’s off Old Richmond Road. This would be the first Westward push that would find Randall’s following a “higher class clientele”. This would be the last “great push” Randall’s would have on its own, with increasing competition in the area the Blocker and Onstead families sought out a plan for the company. In April 1964 the family members agreed to allow Food Mart Inc. to acquire Randall’s. The company would be valued at nearly $1 Million, and in exchange, the family would also receive stock in the new owner. The new owners mostly operated stores in West Texas and New Mexico, with the exception of a chain named C.P. Evan’s stores they had recently picked up. Based out of Galveston, and located mostly along the Gulf Coast, Evans had recently built one location in Houston near the Galleria.
Under the new corporation, Robert “Bob” Onstead, would remain on board, being placed in charge of both Randall’s and C. P. Evan’s for “Food Mart Inc. with a new source of capital at their disposal, Randall’s was essentially allowed to continue operations with little oversight from Food Mart Inc. Discovering that the Westside stores were their winners Randall’s would open 3 new locations, and rebrand the single Houston based Evan’s as a Randall’s between 1964 and 1965. Things were once again looking up for Randall’s thanks to their new partnership, however, this setup would not last much longer. In September 1965 a New Mexico-based Piggly Wiggly franchisee, Shop Rite, made plans to purchase Food Mart Inc. In December of 1965 the “final new Randall’s” (of this generation of stores), would open at 2311 Westheimer. By February of the next year even before an official announcement, the Piggly Wiggly name began to surface in Randall’s publications signaling their intent. Within the month, the news broke that both Randall’s and Evans would become Piggly Wiggly stores. This would actually signal a return of Piggly Wiggly to the Houston market after a 10-year absence when their last franchisee pulled out of town.
With their entry into Houston, Shop Rite announced plans to build 6-7 new locations within the next 12-18 months. Based on the trends from Randalls in the past, and the odd numbering, it is very likely that at least some of these new locations were Randall’s planned, however, the new Piggly Wiggly backed management felt investing in East and South Central Houston was the more prudent choice. While initially, Robert Onstead did stay on as President of the Gulf Coast Division of Piggly Wiggly, it seems he left only a few months after the merger, and by the summer of 1966 would be using the Randall’s name once again. However, that’s not the end of the old Randall’s as Piggly Wiggly the chain wouldn’t be able to do well. Stores were all renamed by 1966, but it seems that customers were either unhappy with the change, or did not have fond memories of the last Piggly Wiggly entry into town. By 1970 locations began to close, with a mass wave of closures coming in 1973. By 1974 only 4 of the former Randall’s/Piggly Wiggly stores remained throughout the Houston area, and none would make it to the end of the year. By this point Randall’s second attempt had flourished and trying to fight for space with outdated stores in a market like Houston was impossible for Piggly Wiggly. All of their stores would close by the end of the year. Interestingly though this would free up the territory for other Piggly Wiggly franchisees, and Red River Co Stores, which operated Piggly Wiggly locations in Central Texas jumped on the opportunity opening locations in Conroe and the Woodlands from 1974 to 1985.
This includes Randall’s and Piggly Wiggly stores
|401||7528 South Park Blvd, Houston, TX 77033||1954-1970 Second Store Built, Renamed Save-U-Store in 1969, Demolished, Now MLK Blvd|
|402||4540 Griggs Rd Houston, TX 77021||1946-1961 First store, Demolished|
|402||4131 Griggs Rd, Houston, TX 77021||1961-1970 Replacement for above store, Demolished|
|403||1306 S Richey St Pasadena, TX 77502||1955-1959 Sold to Super Valu|
|403||10810 S Post Oak Rd, Houston, TX 77035||1961-1973 Still standing, Originally Belden's, then Randall's Currently Foodarama, Number later reused|
|404||7115 Lawndale St, Houston, TX 77023||1957, Previously A&P Seemingly only open a brief time|
|404||6019 Bellfort Ave Houston, TX 77033||1957-1971 Demolished|
|405||5714 Bissonnet St Houston, TX 77081||1962-1966 Demolished, Aztec Rental Center|
|405||8410 Fondren Rd, Houston, TX 77074||1968-1973 Relocation for above store, Opened as Piggly Wiggly|
|406||1717 Post Oak Blvd, Houston, TX 77056||1964-1966 Opened in 1963 by Evan's, renamed Randall's after merger|
|406||9419 N Shepherd Dr Houston, TX 77088||1968-1974 Reused number, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Demolished|
|407||1804 W 43rd St, Houston, TX 77018||1964-1969 Still standing, Dollar General|
|408||1633 S Voss Rd Houston, TX 77057||1965-1966 Demolished?|
|409||101 El Camino Houston, TX 77058||1963?-1966 Evans Seemingly planned to convert like the other Houston store, but Piggly Wiggly name change happened first|
|410||2311 Westheimer Rd, Houston, TX 77098||1965-1973 Still standing, Antique Center, Final location to open as "Randall's"|
|411||402 E Edgebrook Dr, Houston, TX 77034||1968-1974, First store built as Piggly Wiggly|
|414||4408 Ave S, Galveston, TX 77550||1965-1973, Opened as Piggly Wiggly|
|415||513 Market St, Galveston, TX 77550||1965-1973 Opened as Piggly Wiggly|
|416||2413 69th St, Galveston, TX 77551||1965-1973, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Still standing Dollar General?|
|425||9336 Westview Dr, Houston, TX 77055||1965-1973, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Most Recently 24 Hour Fitness|
|426||2113 Pasadena Blvd, Pasadena, TX 77502||1968-1969 Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Still Standing Banquet Hall|
|427||614 Cavalcade St, Houston, TX 77009||1968-1974, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Demolished|
|437||601 E Coombs St, Alvin, TX 77511||1965-1973, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Likely demolished for Apartments|
|439||820 Oak St, La Marque, TX 77568||1964-1974, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Unsure|
|447||1650 College St, Beaumont, TX 77701||1965-1973, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Still standing, Mercado de Familia as of 2022|
|448||4140 Gladys Ave, Beaumont, TX 77706||1964-1967, Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Still standing, Subdivided|
|449||3330 Avenue A, Beaumont, TX 77705||1964-1973. Opened as Piggly Wiggly, Still standing, Subdivided|
|25||1908 N Frazier St, Conroe, TX 77301||1970-1985, Still standing Boot Barn, Red River Co Store, not part of Randall's|
|52||1218 S Frazier St, Conroe, TX 77301||1974-1985, Still standing, Part of Red River Co, not part of Randall's, Included a Piggly Wiggly Video Center|
|53||27500 I-45, The Woodlands, TX 77385||1974-1980, Still standing Office Depot, Red River Co Store, not part of Randall's|