Welcome! I’m glad you’re here, my name is Mike, and Houston Historic Retail is a personal project of mine. No other person, company, or other entity is sponsoring this website. This website is a labor of love, most of the information on this website is from my own personal research. However, some outside sources are used, and I try to notate them all.
Any logos, images, or other graphic shown on this website is the property of their original owner. As such, they may be removed at the owner’s request using the contact information below.
Some content is generated by guest bloggers, and some research is provided by readers of the blog. An effort is made to notate all such contributions.
How to use this site
The website is divided into two separate sections. The blog (the home page) deals with general retail and Houston topics. All other pages (accessed from the menu) are dedicated to the history of stores in Houston.
I do NOT have or hold any relationship to the companies featured on this website. Photos and information may not always reflect current information.
Many articles link to Houston Chronicle archives. The links are meant to be shareable but may require a Houston Public Library card to log in.
If you want to get in touch with me, use the Contact Me page or leave a comment on any page or post. I always like to hear from visitors, and I’m open to the idea of sharing content from guest writers. If you have something you’re trying to research, I have a good amount of resources to share. Also, I can look into it if you have something for me to research!
If you like what I do, please consider donating. It helps support the cost of running this website (which is growing with readership).
Chron.com – See What Northwest Mall Looks Like
Chron’s Facebook – “Zombie Mall!”
KPRC-TV – A dying breed: The future of shopping malls KPRC-TV
Houstoniamag.com – Northwest Mall
Mashed.com – The Untold Truth of On the Border
Harris County Public Library – Kingwood Branch History
Houston Chronicle – Regal Edwards Theater in West Oaks Mall closes after parent company files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
- Burger House – 09/16/2023
- Whataburger Nevada – 07/27/2023
- King Olaf’s Roast Beef – 06/20/2023
- Piccadilly Cafeteria (Rewrite) – 04/29/2023
- Der Wienerschnitzel – 02/18/2023
- Weingarten’s – 12/29/2022
- Home Town Foods – 12/17/2022
- Food Town – 09/05/2022
- Randall’s Food Market – 06/27/2022
- Herfy’s Hamburgers – 06/05/2022
- Randalls 1946-1966 – 04/16/2022
- Deauville Fashion Malls – 02/15/2022
- Handy Andy – 12/27/2021
- Eagle Discount Center Supermarket – 09/11/2021
- Bottom Dollar Stores – 05/27/2021
- Bud’s Discount City – 04/05/2021
- Kmart – 04/01/2021
- Fry’s Electronics – 03/27/2021
- Ashtrays and Matchbooks – 03/16/2021
- Badges, Buttons, Name Tags & Pins – 03/15/2021
- Retail Museum – 03/15/2021
- Incredible Universe – 02/04/20221
- New Thumbnails for Electronics – 07/11/20
- Luther’s Bar-B-Q – 07/02/2020
- Almeda Mall – 04/27/2020
- West Oaks Mall – 02/11/2020
- Craig’s Video Central – 01/12/2020
- Original House of Pies – 12/30/2019
- AppleTree Markets – 11/18/2019
- Steak n Shake – 10/26/2019
- Del Taco – 09/28/2019
- Northwest Mall Page – 11/4/2018
- On The Border Café Page – 10/31/2018
- Souper Salad Page – 10/21/2018
- 1995 Vegetarian Restaurants Post – 9/29/2018
- HEB Pantry Foods Page – 8/21/2018